.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

pursuing the upward call with fear and trembling

just a 44 year old man seeking to share my meanderings with the world at large or the blogosphere at small

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

self sabotage

Thinking about intimacy with God the other day a friend commented and led me to think even further about why and how i avoid this myself. I believe a good portion of the reason is to avoid disappointment and letdown. My dad died of cancer when i was 8. I had no idea he was terminally ill he and my mon chose to not tell my sister and I this for what to them were good reasons im sure. But... when he did die it came as a shock and i think in my 8 year old mind/emotions trying to get a grip on it i became scared that by having intimacy let it be God or people could cause a major hurt to happen like losing my dad to death. This is a hard thing to get a handle on for me somehow. I know in my mind the reality of death happening and why and we all have it happen but that doesnt fix the emotional pain of it or free me from the pain i felt as an 8 year old boy suddenly with no father. I often wonder how this has affected my view of God and how i relate to Him emotionally. Ikts like im afraid somehow he will die and disappear as well as my earthly father did. I KNOW thats crazy but remember im not speaking from my MIND here but from my heart and I have lived almost 45 years on this earth struggling to bridge the gap between my understanding and my emotions. I hope these thoughts strike a chord with some of you or if you see me as needing to be put in a rubber room well let me know!!! LOL i just hope a few stop by and share their ideas on this issue.

3 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger Barbie said...

I have a hard time with seeing God as a loving and merciful God...logically I KNOW He is but emotionally I still view him like my earthly father. I am always waiting to be punished for something. I was raised with a ton of guilt and I still have issues with that. What I do and it usually works for awhile is to start finding ALL the verses I can about God's character and start claiming them over my life.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Tiffanie said...

Well, I stopped by over here because you commented on my blog.

And wow, I am currently struggling with reasons I may be angry or not trust God very much. It helped me tremendously to read this. You've sparked a memory in me from when I was about 3 or 4 that happened that may have alot to do with it.

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its different for me. This is going to sound horrible but I'll say it anyhow. I have a hard time with God being ENOUGH. I want more. I want someone that can hold me and reassure me. I believe God loves me and has my best in mind and that He is there for me 24/7/365, yet it never seems like enough.

I want Him to be enough. I really do. Maybe then I will be ready for the other kind of love. I don't know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home