.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

pursuing the upward call with fear and trembling

just a 44 year old man seeking to share my meanderings with the world at large or the blogosphere at small

Saturday, October 21, 2006

This is THEATER people- not drama!!!!

That was one of the favorite lines of my high school *theater* teacher Mr Maddalena. He simply hated having acting be reduced to drama. i just went and saw a production of *West Side Story* last sunday with my sister, it was a pretty good performance. Maria and Anita were excellent, the jets and sharks were more like flames and queens LOL !!! My sister said they were just to gay to be taken seriously as gang members. Why do i hear jerry and george from seinfeld in my head right now???? *not that theres anything wrong with that!!!*

i just was taken back about 15 years or so because i played Officer Krupke in my freshkan year. Was so cool to watch all the production numbers I Feel Pretty was especially well done, although i kept seeing Jack Nicholson singing to Adam Sandler on the freeway in my head I thought of a funny story from a play tryout i decided to share. i am usually so serious on here, have to share some lighthearted comical craziness at times so here goes. It was my junior year and we were auditioning for our first play of the year... One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest..... I knew i had to be a shoo-in for one of the crazies( quiet kat and mom) anyhow, there was one character who was a paranoid schizo type....... NO not typecasting type..... sorry had to address those 2 chuckling from the sidelines...... well, the character didnt have many lines... in fact he basically had just ONE line.... which he repeated over and over during the entire play. He was to get really mad shake violently and erupt in a scream of * F*** EM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well. seeing as how this was high school, we obviously needed to change that line. Mr Maddalena told us before reading to change it to frig em all fair enough.

So, imagine who was lucky enough to be called up first to read that part????? You got it, yours truly!!!! Something you need to know, all the people knew i was a christian, knew I NEVER swore....... i used to have endless discussions with Mr Maddalena about Christianity and why it was true....... this sets a necessary backdrop. OK..... so.... i go up we begin reading, time comes for mt line.... I shake turn all red and in a LOUD voice yell.... F*** EM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The whole auditorium busts out laughing hysterically, including Mr Maddalena who, through his tears of giggling said the line is frig frig!!!!! Kat can vouch for this whole story she was there. Needless to say I GOT THE PART!!!!!!!!!!!

4 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty funny, my friend. I wish the F-bomb had never become part of my vocabulary. That, and all the other words in that class of language. Fortunately, I have not embarassed myself too badly when inappropriate words have popped out. But there have been way too many times when a bad word has slipped out to the annoyance of my wife and the great amusement of my teenage sons.

 
At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is too funny! I have to ditto Gary. It seems like the F word is so common today I am used to hearing it and say it myself way too often.

Too bad you don't have a video of yourself in that play!! You could put your scene on Youtube!

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Lily said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. This post me laugh. Thanks for sharing it.

BTW I love your blogger template ;)

Peace,

Lily

 
At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, memories. Somehow I don't remember you being age 30 your freshman year in high school... so perhaps it was just a bit more than fifteen years ago?????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home