.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

pursuing the upward call with fear and trembling

just a 44 year old man seeking to share my meanderings with the world at large or the blogosphere at small

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Keep Wondering

Sure are a lot of things to think about in this life we live. God-His nature,plan,purpose,presence,absence??? Scripture- inerrant,human error,literal,metaphorical??? Just a few things which come to mind. I am not sure just where i stand in some ways other than I trust God,Jesus and the Holy Spirit have total control of what keeps us and the entire creation in existence.

I wonder about the whole subject of predestination/freewill. Is the Genesis story of Adam,Eve and the serpent literal historical fact?? Did Adam & Eve actually begin the entire procreation of the whole human race??? What made the forbidden fruit desirous to make one wise to Eve?? Where did those thoughts and perceptions originate from??? Why did God say that Adam & eve could have eaten from the tree of life and live forever??? Did physical death, of both humans and animals, occur before Adam & Eve ate the fruit??? Had to be since all the dinosaurs were gone right???

Wonder just what does it mean to be human?? I'm serious here. We are told to not be afraid by Jesus and angels, but how do we manage that??? Is it a certain specific fear we can manage to not have?? Is practicing holiness a constant ongoing learning process, same as repentance??? We have our thoughts wander all over the place during the day and as we seek to fall asleep don't we??? If we were to sell all we had and follow Jesus as He instructed the rich young ruler to do, how would we be able to live??? Surely Jesus never intended us today to take Him literally there right?? Just like the song by chumbawomba we get knocked down, we get up again,nothing gonna keep us down right??? Fear cannot remove fear, like fire cannot extinguish fire, so how does perfect love truly remove all fear and idea of punishment??

Hopefully someone will read this and comment. Interesting things to wonder about though.

4 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Blogger MistiPearl said...

Hi Robert,

I am of the opinion that dinosaurs and humans coexisted and there was no death until the Fall. Have you read Josh McDowell's Evidence That Demands a Verdict? It is a good read and it may help answer some of your ponderings.:)

On the other hand, I wonder if we can ever be right with God as we walk in sin every day (or at least the majority of us do :S) And is there lesser and greater sin? Isn't sin sin. Like lying, gossip, etc, vs murder, fornication, etc. Does God look upon some sin as less important? I mean, really, someone who lies can do more damage than a murderer.
MistiPearl:)

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Robert said...

Hi Misti- thanks for stopping by my maple leaf lady :) I read McDowells book way back in high school, I saw him at a conference also. I will have to go back and read the part about dinosaurs.

I agree it seems like we take 2 steps forward 3 steps back in trying to overcome sin patterns. Good thing Gods grace is so vast and amazing!!!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger awareness said...

Robert, you ask such good questions. Maybe I'm crazy, but i am trying my best to keep my faith journey as open ended as possible. By that, I reach out to believe that God is all of us. So, I try to live my life knowing that faith is a verb. It comes through in my actions and interactions with others. I look at the stories in the Bible and see them as metaphors and symbols. I don't have it in me to really believe that there was an Adam and Eve, that we all came from them. However I do believe that the story was told as a way to teach us about the consequences of temptation, destiny and free will.

I want to live by the guidelines spoken from the Mount. I will strive to live within the rules of the 10 commandments. However, I also know that I will screw it up from time to time because I am only human trying my best. And if I screw up and confess to this with a sense of genuine shame (If i look deep into my soul and feel this) God will recognize me and love me with forgiveness and kindness.

What is it mean to be human? We are the living breathing acting loving image of God. Equal in all ways. God has given us the gifts of feelings, thoughts, and choice. All three impact our behaviour. And every day is a new day to try our best to make the right choices.

This is my simple interpretation. I love the stories in the Bible. I love to read the parables and whenever i do, because I am changing and growing every day, my interpretation and perspective deepens/alters/broadens.

did I confuse things even more? I hope not.

You know what? Maybe it's even simpler than that. Maybe all we really need to believe is that we are loved as we are always. How cool is that???

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Robert said...

Dana- Hey my dear canadian friend!!! You definitely did NOT confuse things lol I really resonate with so much of what you said dana. I agree fully that as you said, everytime we read Scripture our interpretation/perspective deepens and broadens. Paul describes God as incomprehensible beyond our ability to grasp so why would we expect to *get* it all???

Love simple as that words of true wisdom dana!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home