.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

pursuing the upward call with fear and trembling

just a 44 year old man seeking to share my meanderings with the world at large or the blogosphere at small

Friday, September 21, 2007

people are people

That is the title of a song by Depeche Mode. so why should it be you and i should get along so awfully. Several things have made me reflect on the meaning of this song lately. The *Gena 6* sad example of how little progress has been made it seems since the 60's and the civil rights movement. So much prejudice and recism still abundant and not just in the south. Why is skin color such an issue for anyone???? I have a relative who is deeply prejudiced. He grew up near Newark New Jersey and i believe had some rough encounters with black people there. This led to his having a rabid anger and prejudice against the entire race. Not a rational thing. The song from the musocal South Pacific *you've got to be taught* really rings a bell when it comes to alot of prejudice. It is something that is taught and learned. I wish there was a way to place those with bigotry and prejudice in a locked room and not let them out till they surrender their prejudice and let it go, accepting the person they hate and fear as just like themselves deserving of respect and love and acceptance.

People are knocked down for almost anything it seems. Their looks, their weight,their personality, their choices. Being ugky, being too pretty, being skinny,being fat,being shy,being loud,too consrvative,too liberal and on and on and on!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!!

More i want to say but kind of a jumble in my head right now. I am going to try something new on here soo nas well. Posting life issues ion the form of a storyline so as to focus the attention on the issue and not the person sharing it. I hope it works out as well as i envision it in my head. Guess i will soon find out. Final thought about the issue of this post.

CANT UNDERSTAND WHAT MAKES A MAN HATE ANOTHER MAN

2 Comments:

At 5:03 AM, Blogger Missy said...

Good thoughts here, Robert. I once lived in a town in southern Georgia, about 12 years ago, that shocked me. While visiting businesses on a job hunt, I noticed segregation often occurred not only by skin color, but hair and eye color, too. Almost everyone was completely unaware they were doing this. It is very deep rooted, and often has more to do with fear than hate. Some of the fears are based on experiences, like you mention, but most often I have seen it based on fear of change.

Oh, and you also rate high marks with me for naming both Depeche Mode and a Broadway musical!

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger karen said...

Yes, I'm understanding and identifying with your post here, as I'm going through something right now that is causing me pain--the way some Christians treat others.
MAKE IT STOP!!
Good post, my friend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home