.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

pursuing the upward call with fear and trembling

just a 44 year old man seeking to share my meanderings with the world at large or the blogosphere at small

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Believe

What a concept. Believe. Quite a jampacked word there,containing so much within its small confines. Just where does belief come from??? How do we develop and determine our beliefs??? Are some of our beliefs made for us and placed in us??? I could rattle off so many questions i boggle my own mind. Well, guess that really isn't so hard to do lol. How big an impact does our nuclear family and our basic environment have on our forming beliefs??? The whole genetic vs environment, nature vs nurture question looms huge to me here.

We are all inherently unique in our personalities and the stuff that makes us *us*. We all can share alot of similarities in temperament,gifts,attitudes and other qualities or traits but none of us are totally alike in every way.Believe. Believe what??? why??? Is there sufficient reason and evidence to believe something??? The Bible begins with, *In the beginning God* He is there,we are not told how or why He is there, but He is. Our minds desire to explore reasons for Him existing and what kind of God He is. Good detectives hunt for clues and evidence when conducting investigations. They follow leads, interview eyewitnesses and possible suspects, search for physical evidences. They pursue their investigation in every avenue at their disposal to discover what they believe is the truth of what happened. We are to do the same.

Faith is the major component of believing, Knowledge is as well. We believe something very solidly with knowledge to verify our belief as true. However there are many beliefs held that have no knowledge base and yet still are held lock stock and barrel by those who choose to do so. Aside from mental illness or disability in some form or another, why would this be??? Beliefs and faith are not comprised solely on a rational knowledge basis. Emotional reasoning comes into play here and can vary as widely as the sun from the earth. Deeprooted emotional pain can resist almost any and all attempts to overcome it. No amount of proof to show its falsity can work at times, depending upon the severity of the emotional attachment to the belief held.

I have heard it said fear is the opposite of faith. That statement causes me to curl up in a fetal position and feel as though i were back in the womb deep in my soul in all honesty. Why?? Because i fight with fear and have done so as long as i can recall. I have been a believer since I was 16. Does that mean i really never did have faith, that this whole time i have been deluding myself??? NO!!! I believe that statement is in error. If we had no fear what would push us into acts of courage and bravery??? Faith is acting in spite of fear, of pushing onward with the fear raging and trying to blow our house down. Fear can actually end up inspiring faith in an even greater degree than if it it were absent.

I fight fear I seek faith I believe I battle my human weakness and frailties I pursue the upward call with fear and trembling I am thrilled i have everyone else in different places on their journeys and that we have this place called blogging to impact each other!!!!!!

6 Comments:

At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Fear is an affirmation of our growth". - Rhonda Britten

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Milly said...

Fear has led me to dust myself off and step into faith. Good stuff Robert.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger tonymyles said...

Fear and faith are both extremes... fear believes the absolute worst will happen, while faith believes the absolute best will. May God guide us into faith, even if we need faith to have faith.

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Excellent post Bobby. Very powerful indeed.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Robert said...

milly- o yes dust ourselves off and get back in the game you know it my friend!!!

tony- right on brother!!! I do so pray faith leads to even more faith, even when it takes me through rough roads to get there

gypsy girl- ty dear friend!!! hope you continue to get well step by step and tackle everything you want to with such gusto as only you can much love sweet gypsy!!

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes just hearing the word Believe is hard... I mean you covered so much in this post to why one believes...

Overcoming something is a test of belief... Who gets you through it? It is not ourselves because we would not be set in the Unbelief wilderness so long...

I fight fear everyday and try to press on towards with G-d has for me.. Sometimes I take a step forward to be pushed back down! But it is then that I have to believe with is before me and take one giant leap....

Thanks for sharing this!!!

Ne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home