.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

pursuing the upward call with fear and trembling

just a 44 year old man seeking to share my meanderings with the world at large or the blogosphere at small

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Words are Powerful

Whoever wrote the *sticks and stones* ditty must have been a mime!!! lol Seriously, words can be like a deathblow. The Bible is filled with warnings and admonitions to be careful how we use our tongues. To ponder carefully our words attimes and not to speak before thinking. Wise advice indeed. I think blogging is a testimony to the incredible power of words. We reach into each others souls via our words on here so often. Hopefully in a solid,uplifting way but at times in a negative,harsh or discouraging way as well.

My moms story of my dad had great impact. It has given me a very solid way to remember him and know the man he was. I need to clear out the junk of my inner voices that seek to tear down destroy and discourage my spirit and make fear prevail and hope dissipate. I don't know exactly why i let fear take a such firm grip on my emotions and imagination. Well i guess in some ways i do. I know I must have wondered how God could allow such a thing to happen, and if such a thing could happen to my dad, well then who else could it happen too??? I think I did not comprehend the faith of abraham in surrendering his son if that were to be what God required of him. I want my emotional core and attitude and imagination along with my will to all align and trust Him as job did. As shadrach,meshach and abednego did. Sitting in worship service today i kept looking at the cross in our background and just praying God would help me to have the faith hope love and obedience as those i just mentioned did. As i prayed and was listening to the sermon, His nearness and realness felt so clear and easy to know. Why did it happen that so often the fears and doubts and worries cloud over like a storm that won't leave????

i want to share good words encouraging words thoughtful words healing words. i want those words from others to myself. I want to know God is with me leading me to move forward even though i have been His all this time yet with so much struggle and held back. So often the junk stays in my head and tells me i have failed too much, been unfaithful and disobedient and lacked genuine repentance. I want to realize the hope He gives of a brand new start everyday. Grace. Hope. Love. Abound more and more and more.

4 Comments:

At 6:21 AM, Blogger Karen said...

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" - tell that to the victim of a bully, or someone who has been emotionally absed by someone with an evil, wicked tongue.

Words can wound just as surely as a weapon, often times worse because physical wounds eventually heal where emotional ones can still be painful many years later.

Great post Bobby Bear.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Words can most definetly wound. They can create deep wounds that last forever. They can also encourage and portray positive emotions and thoughts as well. Scripture is comprised of so many words. I am beginning to value those words more as they tell of others struggles of trusting God and being full of fear. They are very telling and display a certain openness and vulnerability that we don't experience very often today.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Milly said...

I glad you're in the blogging world. Keep talking to us.

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man Sticks and Stones are something that has always hurt me, even when They claim to not have meant them that way!

Encouraging words are always what I get when I come to this page.. The best part of it is that its backed by scripture! my life has not been a rose garden but yet I am still a living testimony!! as you are..

Thanks for this post!

Ne.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home