.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

pursuing the upward call with fear and trembling

just a 44 year old man seeking to share my meanderings with the world at large or the blogosphere at small

Friday, October 31, 2008

Good Stuff

My company has a lil costume contest every Halloween. It is very fun seeing the creativity of so many people on display. The people there are mostly computer workers who sit at their desk all day long and nave no interaction apart from breaks and lunch with other people, unless they are customer service. So it is very fun to see them let their personalities be shown. I work in the mailroom and we decided to do a skit on the 80's. We had rockers who rocked out to ZZ Tops *Sharp Dressed Man*, girls who boogied to Cyndi Lauper's * Girls Just Wanna Have Fun* and a couple aerobics nuts to *Shes A Maniac* from Flashdance. I was the announcer. Needless to say we won Best Theme and were rewarded with a pizza party for our whole dept. I have a history of taking the spotlight at my company. I am usually involved in the annual skit which we film for our holiday luncheon and usually have a comedy role to play. I got to be the company President a few years ago which was cool. People comment that I am a good actor which stokes the fires of a once promising acting career i never pursued. I could have been a Not Ready for PrimeTime Player I just know it!!!!! Some dreams will never die lol

The really cool thing about it was that the guys i have talked about who usually are bullies and undermine me, actually told me i did a real good job. A very small thing but i really was cheered to have them say that. It is so weird how you can have such a difficult time relating to certain people and not for any obvious or good reasons. I talk to these guys about sports, money,life issues here and there, but most of the time they choose to relate to me like Im just there for their amusement as they see fit. I have tried all the different techniques to have them stop this, including being very upfront with them, to no avail. As a few have told me I cannot change people who choose not to change. So i try to let it slide best i can and just carry on.

Milly left me a comment that i really like. Telling me how although losing my dad at such a young age definitely shaped my dealing with life, it doesn't have to control it. I have seen and experienced growth and change, albeit slight, but for the better nonetheless, in the last 4 years I have been blogging. I sometimes feel like i become a broken record on certain topics which I bring up again and again but they are what is REAL and happening in the PRESENT. I can't begin to fathom the help i have recieved from various people who spoke to me either by comments or emails. God works through people. no doubt about it!!!! I look ahead to more good stuff even if it may come in a not so good form at first!!!

3 Comments:

At 8:22 AM, Blogger karen said...

Just remember, being a bully says more about the bully than the bullied.
Old baggage is hard to drop at the curb. We keep trying. I understand. You are priceless and loved.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Milly said...

Cool that you got to act again. I too miss it.

Thanks for the quote and I find that remembering it helps me.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Karen said...

That's wonderful that your Department one Robert and I bet more than a little was because of you. That is a tiny step forward that some of the bullies managed to convey something positive for a change. But a tiny step is still a step.....keep plugging away my friend and you will always be a winner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home