.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

pursuing the upward call with fear and trembling

just a 44 year old man seeking to share my meanderings with the world at large or the blogosphere at small

Monday, December 07, 2009

Good Not Safe

In the Chronicles of Narnia, CS Lewis does a great job of allegorizing the Gospel as a fantasy story. Jesus is portrayed as a lion, most majestic,powerful and awed of all animals. One of the children in the story wonders about the lion, named Aslan, and asks if he is safe. The reply given is, *safe??? oh no he is not safe, but he is good* Awesome quote!!! I think this gets to the crux of the age/old debate over good and evil, pain and suffering. My mind still boggles at the disparity over time in how these issues have played out. Modern medicine has made it possible to recover us from almost any illness, while all who lived before its inception were just out of luck. Those in Third World countries and the Middle East subside on so very little and have for eons. God allows this, has allowed it since who knows when. Can anyone actually claim He preordained this????

He is good and He loves all of us the same,no playing favorites and such. Just sometimes things appear a lil fuzzy as to why He lets happen what does. I end up chasing my tail over these ideas when I wonder about my dad, dying at 30, why have I been allowed to live to almost 50??? It is chasing my tail because there is no answer really, not one i would understand in my limited capacity anyhow. I still do the chase from time to time though, regardless.

Any ways in which you consider God being good but not safe??? Ideas on pain and suffering, good and evil??? Hope to hear.

3 Comments:

At 8:20 AM, Blogger stephy said...

This is good stuff to think about...

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Robert said...

stephy- thank you for stopping by!!! I enjoy your blog very much and I think you provide rushing winds of fresh a ir in a lot of what you say

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger stephy said...

Oh gosh, thanks for saying that. I like what YOU have to say here in your blog! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home