.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

pursuing the upward call with fear and trembling

just a 44 year old man seeking to share my meanderings with the world at large or the blogosphere at small

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

What Child Is This?

I really love christmas music. Just overflows with joy,energy,gratitude and hopefulness. As well as the just plain fun ones to renew a childlike spirit. This song is one I want to think deeper about. Greensleaves is a very cool song to me, and I like the entire melody. What Child Is This contains some very solid theology within its verses though. It portrays the future which Jesus shall have as He fulfills His call as Messiah. This child defies all conventional wisdom, born in a manger because he had no home, in the barest of clothes. Pure humility from the one who is greatest of all.

There is a famous saying, *those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it* The context is usually set in a political or military context like nazi germany and the holocaust. I think it can be applied universally to any given situation though. Families, countries,businesses,organizations,the church. I think God entered into human history to tell us in an objective way who He is and how He feels about us,in spite of our treatment and understanding of Him. This is why Scripture has such importance. Why the historical record of how we have been Jesus Church ever since His acensions matters so. It serves to steady our focus when different things want to tear us apart.

i am so thankful for many who choose to be very transparent and openly discuss their doubts,fears and struggles on their blogs. Always a genuine encouragement. Sometimes I can get wrapped up in a certain feeling or fear or something and I will tell myself to just let it go because God has it all under control, but it lingers and stays and that begins a whole new quandary in itself. I am so glad i can come back and think on What Child Is This, or certain Scripture passages, or words of an online friend or even someone I dont even know, and have that reminder God is Love and showed it in the most powerful way possible and lets us come back to Him again and again, neverending, just as we are.

2 Comments:

At 6:46 AM, Blogger Gigi said...

always appreciate your journey....hope you have an amazing Christmas!!

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Aphra said...

I'm listening to "Mary did you know?" right now- a new song discovery for me.

I wish I learned better from my history. I know what one of my problems/weaknesses is and I know my history. But I seem to still do the same thing even though I KNOW better.

I wish you a very merry Christmas!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home